Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Searching

I’ll be heading back to Adelaide in less than 2 weeks for 4 days. I am so excited! Catching up with friends, organising further wedding plans, staying with my parents. Being home. I’ve decided Sydney really isn’t where I see myself long term. I’m just not a big city person. Perhaps because I spent my first 7 years living in a wonderful outback country town. I do find it quite a lonely place also, which is ironic seeing there are so many people here! Maybe because my true friends, the ones that know me to the soul are in Adelaide or in London. I don’t really have any super close friends in Sydney. My lovely fiancé feels the same. Sydney is not ‘us’. Behind the glitz and the glam of Sydney, I’ve decided I don’t suit it, and it doesn’t suit me. That’s ok though – I will enjoy it for at least the next year or so and then we’ll move on, Brisbane, Adelaide or over to Dubai.

Speaking of getting out of Sydney, it will be less than 3 weeks til I fly out to Dubai. God, I’m so excited. My best friend who is living in London is flying in to meet up – we will dine and shop and swim like there’s no tomorrow! Of course I have to do work too. I will meet up with teh lovely Jules too, whose blog is so wonderful and gives a fantastic expat insight into Dubai

Sydney has blessed me with an amazing job, which pays very well, with international travel, perks galore but of course, I’m still not totally happy. It does go to show that money definitely doesn't bring happiness. Will I ever be totally content? What am I searching for? I’ve found my partner for life now I feel like I’m looking for a place to settle. Wherever that may be. I still dream of opening up a gallery/homewares store on the coast, somewhere relaxing without loads of people. Maybe that is what I'm meant to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

I cannot wait to catch up with you in Dubai!

I've also been doing the existential angst thing about not feeling content. Do you watch Desperate Housewives? I'm feeling very much like Gabrielle when she says that she has everything that she ever wanted, but has only just realised that she was wanting the wrong things.

Wed Nov 15, 10:51:00 PM GMT+11  
Blogger Em said...

Yes - am so looking forward to it!!! Some nice, consistent sunny weather (hopefully).

No I don't really watch DH but I know Gabrielle! It's a weird feeling isn't it. Grass is greener and all that

Thu Nov 16, 09:46:00 AM GMT+11  
Blogger Sarah said...

oh yeah

I know all about existential angst.

got back from Noosa yesterday, Kai took me to our new house...where I promptly sat down on the lounge room floor and cried my eyes out.

When will we know what we're looking for?

Mon Nov 20, 01:34:00 PM GMT+11  
Blogger Em said...

oh no Sare - I so no how you feel....

To me, i think you have a great life. You seem to have got it together, but of course all have our own angsts

Wed Nov 22, 11:10:00 AM GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home