Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The best day in the last 11 years - June 11 2006

This is the date I had my final cigarette. I decided that evening after chain smoking nearly a packet while drinking homemade cocktails with friends in our new Balmain pad that it was enough. 11 years of smoking and every month I’d say to myself ‘I’ll stop soon, I’ll quit soon, won’t be long’. I even tried on numerous occasions but failed. After 10 years of doing this I finally realised that I had a serious addition even though I’d say ‘I’m only a social smoker, I only smoke when I drink’. I noticed that I was drinking every day just about so I was smoking everyday. I was using drinking as a crutch to ‘allow’ myself to smoke… an excuse. It’s amazing how much your drinking consumption changes when you stop smoking.

A few things helped me stop
Hypnotherapy about 4x a few years ago. Although it didn’t help straight away, what was said stuck
The book Allan Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Fantastic book.
Realising that I was over 30 and didn’t want to be one of these ‘old hags’ with a ciggie hanging out her mouth. Tragic look.
Knowing that smoking was really affecting my running. I love to run and keep fit but smoking was not doing me any favours

Life has been wonderful since I have stopped. I've hardly been sick, I've got more money and more engergy. Of course, not a week goes by not wanting one, especially with a drink in my hand! If I can do it, anyone can! But you have to be ready and noone can tell you to give up, only you can tell yourself too.

I don't care whether people smoke or not, I don't judge and I don't tell people not to smoke as it's their choice. For me though, I had to stop.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

You are a true inspiration. I am trying very hard right now, hence the post I just made (and then saw this post, jinx!). I didn't smoke at the wedding this weekend and really wanted one today, but resisted. Aaah!

Wed Nov 01, 06:37:00 PM GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home