Thursday, September 08, 2005

Tennessee Williams

I have always been enthrawled by the theatre. One of my earliest memories was watching my mother perform in 'Fiddler on the Roof", growing up with a mother who has always been heavily involved in the theatre has definitely rubbed off on me. Mum has won numerous awards for her acting and has worked with some very influential people.

Anyway I have loved Tennessee Williams plays. My favorites are 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and 'The Glass Menagerie'. He wrote in such a way that really showed the flaws in human nature.

Some of my fave quotes from the 2 plays above:

"You are the only young man that I know of who ignores the fact that the future becomes the present, the present becomes the past, and the past turns into everlasting regret if you don't plan for it!"

"I didn't go to the moon, I went much further -- for time is the longest distance between two places."

"What you are talking about is desire - just brutal Desire. The name of that rattle-trap streetcar that bangs through the Quarter, up one old narrow street and down another."

"Take a look at yourself here in a worn-out Mardi Gras outfit, rented for 50 cents from some rag-picker. And with a crazy crown on. Now what kind of a queen do you think you are?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home